Biology Job in Birmingham, Alabama : AL 35205
Looking for Biology Jobs? See currently available Biology job openings on biology.jobs.net . Browse the current listings and fill out job applications.
biology.jobs.net is the starting point for a job search in any biology job . We provide job resources for Biology positions throughout the industry. biology.jobs.net also provides Biology jobs listings from around the United States. Job seekers can search and apply for jobs in Biology by either city or state.
biology.jobs.net is a biology job search resource for job seekers. Here you can easily find all Biology jobs, post a resume, and research your career.
Get started on your biology job search on biology.jobs.net today.
Principal Investigator In Medicinal Chemistry And Drug Discovery
Principal Investigator In Medicinal Chemistry And Drug Discovery Job DescriptionPrincipal Investigator in Medicinal Chemistry and Drug Discovery
SOUTHERN RESEARCH is seeking an outstanding scientist to join the faculty of the Chemistry Department in the Drug Discovery Division. We are particularly interested in attracting a scientist with an established research program with excellent translational potential toward the identification of novel therapeutic agents. Chemists with a strong desire to collaborate with biochemists, microbiologists, and our high-throughput screening center, especially in the areas of oncology, anti-infectives, or CNS and neurodegenerative diseases, are particularly encouraged to apply.
To be considered, applicants must: 1) possess a Ph.D. in organic or medicinal chemistry, and 2) have an externally funded grant-based research program. This position is equivalent in rank to an Associate or Full Professor in an academic institution. Competitive start-up funds will be provided. Applications should include curriculum vitae, a 1-2 page description of prior research experience, and a description of future research goals.
Southern Research is a not-for-profit research organization academically affiliated with the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB), where many of our faculty members have adjunct appointments in the various basic science departments. The Drug Discovery Division focuses on three therapeutic areas: oncology, and infectious diseases, and CNS disease. Continuously funded by the National Institutes of Health and other federal and private organizations, we have had long-standing success in anticancer drug discovery. Six FDA-approved anticancer drugs (lomustine, carmustine, dacarbazine, fludarabine, clofarabine, and pralatrexate) and one cytoprotective agent (Ethyol) to reduce toxicities associated with cancer chemotherapy and radiotherapy have been discovered at Southern Research. Additional anticancer drugs have advanced to clinical trials. Over the last two decades, the Cancer Research Program has received more than 90 million dollars in NIH funding. Notable cancer researchers who worked at the institute include Howard Skipper, John Montgomery, Frank Schabel and Lee Bennett Jr. As part of a large biomedical research community in Birmingham, we are committed to providing a stimulating and rewarding work environment. Close proximity to the UAB campus facilitates interactions with academic and clinical personnel that are affiliated with UAB basic science departments, and the NCI-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and the Alabama Drug Discovery Alliance. In addition, Southern Research Institute is an NCI-designated Chemical Biology Consortium Comprehensive Center where our scientists have been actively involved in NCI’s Drug Discovery and Development projects.
BIRMINGHAM, ALABAMA has a high standard of living afforded by a moderate climate, beautiful wooded terrain, outstanding residential communities and schools, world-class healthcare, below average cost of living, and a vibrant arts and entertainment scene. In 2015, Birmingham lands the No. 1 spot on Forbes' list of America’s Most Affordable Cities.
The Investigator will function as an independent researcher who manages self-funded programs within the Drug Discovery Division. This position requires a proven track record of winning grants/contracts to self-fund their individual research programs. The role will be responsible for successfully preparing research proposals, planning and conducting experiments; interpreting and reporting results; and managing staff and laboratory. In addition to these activities, this position involves close interaction with research teams working on joint SRI-UAB projects (Alabama Drug Discovery Alliance) and other internal research programs, as well as general planning for the future growth and direction of our drug discovery pipeline.
- Must independently design a research program and be responsible for all work pursued in their laboratory.
- Ability to function as an independent investigator who manages a program.
- Accountable for advancing research in a specified area.
- Sought out both internally and externally as a scientific/technical specialist in a field of research.
- Must be willing to participate collaboratively on project teams managing our internal drug discovery pipeline.
Position Specific Responsibilities
- Applies learned skills in project management methodology to ensure that research grants/research contracts are effectively managed. Ensures quality of product and/or service delivered; manages project budget and project risk factors.
- Publishes work in high quality journals.
- People reporting relationships may be a combination of direct and indirect. For those direct reports, will receive training in HR related processes including performance management, salary administration, discipline, and hiring.
- Provides training and development opportunities for both indirect and direct reports as necessary.
- Provides resolutions to diverse range of complex scientific problems.
- May sit on national advisory committees.
- May be responsible for the management of a large existing research contract and/or build a grant based research program.
- Uses judgment within defined policies, practices and procedures.
- Ensures compliance to all regulatory and safety requirements for work with select agents.
- Observes appropriate safety and study requirements by reading, understanding, and following Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) requirements, and/or study protocols.
- Perform other duties as may be required by supervisor.
- PhD in medicinal/organic chemistry or related discipline.
- 6+ years of directly related independent research experience.
- An externally funded grant-based research program.
- Excellent written & oral communications skills.
- Ability to write successful grants and proposals.
- Track record obtaining significant external research funding.
- Must be recognized as a scientific/technical specialist in a field of research.
- Individual must have achieved recognition for their research accomplishments.
- Strong Project Management skills.
- Knowledge of safety protocols and use of protective equipment.
Birmingham Biology Job